What is Extra: rsn_ie ?

Bryan Kadzban bryan
Mon Apr 3 19:02:16 PDT 2006

Timo Pannes wrote:
> That means that you can distinguish WPA2 enabled networks from those
> using just WEP. But afaik there is no way to distinguish between WPA
> and WEP without sniffing some of the initialization traffic, isn't
> it?

No.  ;-)

A WPA2/RSN network will have an RSN IE in the beacons and probe response
frames.

A WPA network will have a WPA IE in the beacons and probe responses.

A WEP network will have the "privacy" bit set in one of the IEs in the
beacons and probe responses, and will contain neither a WPA nor an RSN
IE.  (WPA/WPA2 networks usually also have the "privacy" bit set, but
that may not be required by those standards.  I'm not sure.)