wpa_supplicant requires restart on PCMCIA re-insertion

Chip Salzenberg chip
Mon Nov 28 11:44:14 PST 2005

I've been forced to stop and start wpa_supplicant whenever I re-insert the
PCMCIA wireless card.  (D-Link DWL-650, one of the old ones.)

One of the things I like best about wpa_supplicant is its flexible
configuration, which should allow it to run all day in the background and
automatically associate to one wireless network after another.  Sadly, this
has not been the case with wpa_supplicant 0.4.6 and 0.4.7 (I've tried both),
at least with the Linux kernel 2.6.14 hostap driver (0.4.4-kernel).[*]

It's running as:

   /usr/sbin/wpa_supplicant -B -w -i wlan0 -D hostap -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf

What additional debug info should I provide to help diagnose this issue?

[*] For those of you who remember my earlier hostap driver problem: I was
    going to post debugging info, but the problem disappeared with a Debian
    kernel upgrade (still 2.6.14), then reappeared with the next upgrade
    (still 2.6.14).  Current evidence suggests that it's all about IRQ
    allocation: by forcing assignment to a limited set of IRQs (specifically
    avoiding 3,5, and 7), I've gotten apparently reliable success.
--
Chip Salzenberg <chip at pobox.com>