Handoff with wpa_supplicant and madwifi driver

Leonardo Maccari maccari-thisaintpartofmyaddress-
Mon Nov 28 08:16:04 PST 2005

On Thu, Nov 24, 2005 at 07:38:04PM -0800, Stephan Schlumbohm wrote:
> I did some testing with the same wireless card under Windows with a Cisco
> driver (and supplicant) and got a handoff time of less than 300 ms on
> average. In this setup the station is sending re-association request frames
> to the new access point.

As far as I understood it, in 802.11i reassociation is thought to be done within the
same AP with which you had previuos association, if you try to reassociate
with an AP that you never authenticated with, it should deauthenticate you
and force you to have standard 802.11 authentication. so if cisco cards behave
like this, it might be a particular cisco behaviuor. what kind of AP are
you using?

> The handoff is created naturally, just by walking the laptop out of the
> range of the first access point to the next access point. Mesh access points
> just connect the access points wirelessly together instead of over a wired
> distribution system.

if this is your situation you might want to check out what
pre-authentication does, it might help performance.
see also different roaming modes in hostap driver and selective scan in
driver scan, that might help the scan phase.

ciao,
leonardo.
--
   Key fingerprint = 3129 C583 F03B 2E73 0115  C040 3489 0185 B592 19FE
 Obviously -thisaintpartofmyaddress- is not part of my real email address