Hostap_pci vs. orinoco_pci

Jar jar
Thu Nov 17 10:54:41 PST 2005

Hello

When using FC4 2.6.12, I have to put the following lines to the end of
the /etc/hotplug/blacklist to get rid of loading orinoco_pci.

# a) Do NOT load orinoco_pci when we are using hostap driver
# b) Do NOT load hostap_pci or it's alias wlan1 defined in
#    /etc/modprobe.conf, let network service run it instead.
orinoco_pci
hostap_pci
wlan1

Now when I updated to FC4 2.6.14 this doesn't work any more. I have to
delete orinoco_pci. Otherwise both hostap_pci and orinoco_pci are loaded
at boot.

Intresiting thing is (according to dmesg) that the orinoco_pci is loaded
first and then hostap_pci. Anyhow, finally lsmod shows that no orinoco*
modules has been loaded. Who unloads them, does loading another module
(hostap_pci) for same device cause that?

orinoco 0.15rc2 (David Gibson <hermes at gibson.dropbear.id.au>, Pavel
Roskin <proski at gnu.org>, et al)
orinoco_pci 0.15rc2 (Pavel Roskin <proski at gnu.org>, David Gibson
<hermes at gibson.dropbear.id.au> & Jean Tour
eth2: WEP supported, 104-bit key
eth2: MAC address 00:0E:6A:6A:6A:6A
eth2: Station name "Prism  I"
eth2: ready
ACPI: PCI interrupt for device 0000:02:0a.0 disabled
e100: eth0: e100_watchdog: link up, 100Mbps, full-duplex
eth1: link up, 100Mbps, full-duplex, lpa 0x45E1
ip_tables: (C) 2000-2002 Netfilter core team
Netfilter messages via NETLINK v0.30.
ip_conntrack version 2.3 (4095 buckets, 32760 max) - 236 bytes per conntrack
u32 classifier
     Perfomance counters on
     OLD policer on
     input device check on
Ingress scheduler: Classifier actions prefered over netfilter
ieee80211_crypt: registered algorithm 'NULL'
hostap_pci: 0.4.4-kernel (Jouni Malinen <jkmaline at cc.hut.fi>)
ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:02:0a.0[A] -> Link [LNKG] -> GSI 11 (level,
low) -> IRQ 11
hostap_pci: Registered netdevice wifi0
wifi0: Original COR value: 0x50
prism2_hw_init: initialized in 192 ms
wifi0: NIC: id=0x8013 v1.0.0
wifi0: PRI: id=0x15 v1.1.1
wifi0: STA: id=0x1f v1.7.4
wifi0: Intersil Prism2.5 PCI: mem=0xdfbff000, irq=11
wifi0: registered netdevice wlan0

Finally I have to delete orinoco_pci. That is not elegant way to handle
this. What is the _great_ idea to put prism2 device IDs to the orinoco
driver?

Is there some other method than the delete method to handle this? What
if I had one orinoco_pci and one hostap_pci device in same PC and I want
to use orinco driver for orinoco and hostap driver for prism2 device?

--
Best Regards, Jar