How to compile hostapd-0.4.6 and wpa_supplicant-0.4.6 for madwifi-ng (1314)

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Fri Nov 11 20:24:41 PST 2005

On Wed, Nov 09, 2005 at 12:14:22PM -0300, Beat Meier wrote:

> I send here all patches for madwifi-ng and wpa_supplicant-0.4.6 and
> hostapd-0.4.6 together.
> With this patches it is possible to compile a working
> wpa_supplicant/hostapd for madwifi-ng release 1314.

Thanks again. I ended up doing this a bit differently so that users do
not need to configure madwifi-ng vs. madwifi-old in .config. In other
words, this is selected automatically based on the defined ioctls. One
will still need to build hostapd/wpa_supplicant separately for
madwifi-ng and madwifi-old, i.e., the automatic detection is build time
operation.

I cleaned up the ioctl error printing and added a backup timeout for
scan request so that the temporary driver_wext::scan() does not need to
be used. Anyway, it would be nice to get madwifi-ng supporting the new
WE-18 mechanism for per-SSID scans instead of the current broken
mechanism of using set_ssid to select which SSID to scan for.

IEEE80211_MLME_CLEAR_STATS is now used only if the header files define
it, i.e., it is not currently used with madwifi-ng, but will be
automatically taken into use (with rebuild of hostapd) once support for
that has been merged into madwifi-ng.

All changes are in my CVS (devel branch only) and will be included in
the next release (0.4.7). I verified that both wpa_supplicant and
hostapd build and based on a quick test, seem to also work, with both
madwifi-old and madwifi-ng.