wpa rekey

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Sat Nov 5 07:40:37 PST 2005

On Sat, Nov 05, 2005 at 02:56:11PM +0100, matthieu castet wrote:

> I have a question about WPA rekey.
>
> My driver always use the WPA key at index 0 and never used the rekey key ?
>
> Why ?

If you are talking about pairwise (i.e., per-station unicast key), it is
always using key index 0. In other words, rekeying changes the key
itself, but key index remains the same. As far as group
(broadcast/multicast) keys are concerned, AP may decide to change the
key index (1 .. 3), but there is no requirement to do so. I would assume
most implementations to rotate between key index 1 and 2, though.

> It is a configuration problem on the AP, on the client driver ?

No.

> When does a peer choose to change the key index ?

AP decides which key index to use.