wrt54g ssid broadcast disabled

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Wed Nov 2 20:23:15 PST 2005

On Wed, Nov 02, 2005 at 10:04:37PM -0500, Bryan Kadzban wrote:

> WPA and WPA2 are compatibility standards from the Wi-Fi Alliance.

Depends on what you mean with compatible.. And as far as WPA2 is
concerned, Wi-Fi Alliance came up with the name whereas the standard is
actually coming from IEEE..

TKIP is identical in WPA and WPA2. CCMP is almost the same, but not
exactly; if fragmentation is used and someone actually implemented CCMP
as specified in WPA spec (i.e., in old IEEE 802.11i/D3.0), there would
be interoperability issues.

Key handshake uses different message contents and as such, I would not
call that compatible. However, both WPA and WPA2 can be enabled in the
AP at the same time.

> According to that network block, you are using WPA (no key-caching) on
> the client side.  I believe you're still using WPA2 (support for
> key-caching) on the AP side, but this specific client isn't taking
> advantage of the caching capability.  If this client never roams, it
> doesn't matter.

If the client is configured to use WPA (as was indeed the case here),
the AP must also have WPA enabled. In other words, both client and AP
used WPA in this case.