hostap, wpa_supplicant and wifi pcmcia cards

DELORT Stephane Stephane.DELORT
Wed May 25 05:55:16 PDT 2005

Re,

warm thanks to Tilman and thomas for your help.

I selected both the netgear WAG511 and the 3com 3CRPAG175. They should use atheros chipset - to be verified on the card - and are known to work with madwifi and hostap.
Moreover they can be bought easily in Europe.

Does anyone know what is the reason for the twice higher price of the 3 com in regard of the netgear's ?
Even if their is a 2Dbm gap between their transmission power I do not see any big diference.

regards,
St?phane

-----Message d'origine-----
De : Tilman Schoop [mailto:Tilman.Schoop at dsa-ac.de]
Envoy? : mercredi 25 mai 2005 11:37
? : DELORT Stephane
Objet : Re: hostap, wpa_supplicant and wifi pcmcia cards

Hi Stephane,

I have wpa_supplicant with madwifi driver successfully and without
problems running on a 3com 3CRPAG175 card. Configuration for WPA
(EAP/TLS+TKIP); running in a WLAN network with 802.11b/g APs.
host is a i386 platform. I also want to use it on an ARM processor based
system, but at the moment I haven?t tested it.
Greatest problem with the cards is to find a combination of
wpa_supplicant, driver, chipset support.
At the moment I have no experiences with wpa2 but I don`t think
this is a great problem, because if the before mentioned combination
is running, I (teoretically) have support for all protocols that
wpa_supplicant supports.

hope that helps

Greetings
Tilman