problem starting wpa with ipw2200 from init script

Tony Schlemmer aschlemm
Tue May 17 06:41:17 PDT 2005

On Monday 16 May 2005 09:02, Andreas Fehr wrote:
> Well, to make it more fun to debug, read the following.
>
> As I'm able to get a wpa connection to my access point, as soon as I
> start the wpa script manually, I did some further test and guess what...
> as soon as I kill all the wpa entries from 'ps x', my wireless
> connection is even faster than before.
>
> Sound more than strange to me. Any idea on that?

How are you managing to startup the "wpa_supplicant" more than once? I admit
had this problem under SuSE 9.2 as I startup the daemon through
SuSE's /etc/sysconfig/network/if-up.d directory via a simple shell script. I
have my startup script check if  the "wpa_supplicant" daemon is already
running so the daemon only gets started once.

My Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop is rather odd with SuSE 9.2 as the WIFI interface
doesn't come up on a set interface. Sometimes it comes up as eth0 and other
times it comes up as eth1. I had to add some parsing of the output of
"iwconfig" into my startup script so it can figure out which interface is the
WIFI one. It's odd but may have something to do about saving power when the
laptop isn't plugged in its power supply.

Under WinXP I get a message that the internal ethernet adapters was disabled
when running on battery and I have no CAT-5 cable plugged in. When I plug the
laptop in to the power supply I get another message telling me that the
internal LAN adapter was been enabled.

Tony

--
Anthony  Schlemmer