Testing wpa_supplicant on Windows

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Sat May 7 23:27:38 PDT 2005

On Thu, May 05, 2005 at 05:38:44PM +0100, Josh Howlett wrote:

> I have the opportunity shortly to test wpa_supplicant on a large number of
> machines running a variety of Windows OSes at different patch levels.

Please note that ndis_events.exe has been reported not to work on older
versions than WinXP, but I haven't seen test results from
wpa_supplicant.exe on other than WinXP so far.

> I was wondering whether it were possible to remove the need for the WinPcap
> installation by compiling wpa_supplicant appropriately?

No, WinPcap is required for getting access to EAPOL packets used in IEEE
802.1X/WPA and for accessing the NDIS driver. One could of course
implement a new intermediate driver for providing same functionality,
but that would not really change the requirement for installation.

If you want to make installation easier, a combined installer for
WinPcap and wpa_supplicant would be the way to go at least for now.