WPA-PSK only authenticates if essid is broadcast

Charles Griffin cngriffin
Wed May 4 19:30:59 PDT 2005

Hello--

I am running Slackware 10.1 on a Dell 700m laptop which has the Dell
1450 dual band internal wireless (802.11a/b/g, 54 Mbps) integrated
card.  I use ndiswrapper v1.1 and the windows driver along with
wpa_supplicant 0.3.8 and it works great in connecting to my Apple
airport extreme base station set with wpa-psk encryption.  The only
problem is that wpa_supplicant will only find the router and
authenticate if I set the essid to broadcast.  If the essid is not
broadcast, wpa_supplicant says it cannot find any access point.

When I built wpa_supplicant, I used these options in my .config file:

CONFIG_DRIVER_NDISWRAPPER=y
CONFIG_WIRELESS_EXTENSION=y
CONFIG_EAP_PSK=y

My wpa_supplicant.conf file is:

network={
ssid="myessid"
scan_ssid=1
key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
psk="myencryptionkey"
}

I would really like to be able to turn off my essid broadcast.  Any
suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

TIA.