storage size of `io' isn't known

Jeremy McNamara jj
Mon Mar 21 08:05:33 PST 2005

I have setup my own toolchain for the PC Engines WRAP board and Prism2
mini-pci card.  When I compile the hostap driver I get the following
error and warning from gcc 2.95.3.

make CC=i386-linux-gcc DESTDIR=/usr/src/wrap/rootfs
i386-linux-gcc -MMD -O2 -Wall -g -DHOSTAPD_DUMP_STATE -I. -I. -I../utils
-I. -DCONFIG_DRIVER_HOSTAP   -c -o ctrl_iface.o ctrl_iface.c
ctrl_iface.c: In function `hostapd_ctrl_iface_send':
ctrl_iface.c:412: storage size of `io' isn't known
ctrl_iface.c:412: warning: unused variable `io'
make: *** [ctrl_iface.o] Error 1

My research has found that gcc has trouble determining the storage size
when cross-compiling.   Does anyone know a work around for this? Google
shows many other projects having this same trouble when their code is
cross-compiled.

Thank you,

Jeremy McNamara