Experiments with different firmwares when card is in Mastermode.

Jerry mrcool
Fri Mar 11 04:49:25 PST 2005

Hello!

I have tried most of all the flavors of firmware, and indeed, 1.7.4 seems to
be the best overall, with the least problems.

1.4.9 works good as a client or AP, but does not do WPA or WDS, also a dlink
WRTG AP can cause a 1.4.9 firmware radio to roam to a complete different
essid if the signal from the WRTG is strong enough.  This has caused me to
have to physically default-reset some CB3s because someone nearby bought a
WRTG.  This was the only way to get them to associate back to the correct
essid (and they were set correctly).

1.5.6 is pretty good firmware too.  Works good as an AP, and does WDS, but
not WPA.  Dont know if it has the roaming issue as 1.4.9 above.  1.5.6 does
preform reasonably well, and seems stable.

1.7.4 solves the roaming issue mentioned above (thanks Eje -->
www.wisp-router.com).  It also does WDS and WPA.  The performance of the
1.7.4 radios is strong, and seems quite stable.  Personally I recommend
1.7.4, but wouldnt risk changing a 1.5.6 radio to anything else.

1.8.x  just doesnt work for me.   Everytime i have tried to use that
firmware,  things just dont work, clients cant associate, etc.  I DO NOT
recomment 1.8.x.  <--For what its worth.  :)

There is my 2 pence, if anyone cares...  ;)

Good luck

Jerryf