wpa_supplicant with EAP-TLS and madwifi driver not authentica ting

Manoj Verma, Noida manojv
Thu Mar 10 01:51:46 PST 2005

Hi,

We had the similar problem with the CISCO AP, wherein in dynamic WEP
Keys mode we were not able to communicate with the AP.

The problem occurs because after the TTLS / TLS authentication, the key
frame information sent by the AP is not complete, i.e. encrypted key from
which the session key is derived is not provided by the AP.

Manoj

-----Original Message-----
From: hostap-bounces+manojv=noida.hcltech.com at shmoo.com
[mailto:hostap-bounces+manojv=noida.hcltech.com at shmoo.com] On Behalf Of
Shashidhar Lakkavalli
Sent: Thursday, March 10, 2005 5:15 AM
To: hostap at shmoo.com
Subject: wpa_supplicant with EAP-TLS and madwifi driver not authenticating

Hi,

I am trying to use EAP-TLS with a Linksys PCI card
using the madwifi driver, to communicate with a Cisco
1100 series AP. The configuration file I have used is
as follows:

eapol_version=1
ap_scan=0
# IEEE 802.1X/EAPOL with dynamically generated WEP
keys (i.e., no WPA) using
# EAP-TLS for authentication and key generation;
require both unicast and
# broadcast WEP keys.
network={
        ssid="8021x"
        scan_ssid=0
        proto=WPA
        key_mgmt=IEEE8021X
        eap=TLS
        identity="anonymous"
        anonymous_identity="anonymous"
        ca_cert="/usr/local/etc/1x/certs/root.pem"

client_cert="/usr/local/etc/1x/certs/cert-clt.pem"

private_key="/usr/local/etc/1x/certs/cert-clt.pem"
        private_key_passwd="whatever"
        eapol_flags=3
}

The wpa_supplicant output file is attached with the
email. The wpa_supplicant is able to send the
EAPOL-Start, receive the EAP request and send the EAP
response. But after that, the AiroPeek sniffer does
not show any communication between the wpa_supplicant
and the AP.

This problem is only with IEEE8021x with dynamic WEP
keys. I was able to get EAP-TLS using WPA, and WPA-PSK
to work.

Please let me know if I am missing something. I have
attached the wpa_supplicant output for reference.

Thanks,
Shashi.