still having problems w/ hidden essid

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Sun Jun 12 19:24:45 PDT 2005

On Sun, Jun 12, 2005 at 09:49:25PM -0400, Charles Griffin wrote:

> I have been trying to get my dell 700m with internal dell 1450 a/b/g
> wifi card to connect to my router when the essid broadcast is
> disabled.  I tried this earlier on an apple extreme base station with
> no luck.  I am now trying it with a linksys wrt54g and still no luck.
> Everything works fine and wpa works great if essid is broadcast.

> WPA: Selected cipher suites: group 30 pairwise 24 key_mgmt 2
> WPA: using GTK CCMP
> WPA: using PTK CCMP
> WPA: using KEY_MGMT WPA-PSK

Are you using CCMP or TKIP as the encryption algorithm?

> Here is my wpa_supplicant.conf:
>
> ap_scan=2
> network={
> ssid="myessid"
> proto=WPA
> key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
> psk="mypsk"
> }

Please read the comments about ap_scan=2 mode in the example
wpa_supplicant.conf file. This mode requires that the encryption
parameters (e.g., pairwise_cipher) are set explicitly whereas your
configuration file is allowing all cipher suites and is likely to cause
problems if you do not happen to use the most secure one.