wpa supplicant porting

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Thu Jun 9 22:03:59 PDT 2005

On Thu, Jun 09, 2005 at 06:58:52AM -0400, alfred hitch wrote:

> ok finally I could figure out  .
>
> I didnt had proto=WPA hardcoded and so things were reaching / hitting
> RSN pieces of supplicant code.

Nice to hear that you got this working.

> Can someone explain, why is this so necessary, and how come no step of
> tls  failed, neither did 4 way handhake (atleast  with my own
> company's AP) ..
> at what stage / or is it also, ever exchanged that this is WPA and not
> RSN intended

This is required if you use ap_scan=2 mode, but it should not be
required in ap_scan=1 (i.e., wpa_supplicant uses scan results to select
an AP).

> 2) documentation for supplicant says all over that proto field will
> default to RSN WPA ..so how does it works, how does it switches blah
> blah ..

The proto option is used to list the allowed protocol versions and if
scan results can be used, wpa_supplicant will select one of the allowed
protocols. RSN/WPA2 is selected if it is allowed (the default
configuration) and the AP is advertising support for WPA2 (i.e.,
includes an RSN IE in the Beacon).

This works with Host AP driver when using ap_scan=1 (default). Please
send a debug log from wpa_supplicant if you cannot get this working.