help! wpa_supplicant with WEP never associates, just timeout-loops

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Fri Jun 3 20:36:33 PDT 2005

On Mon, May 30, 2005 at 05:08:35PM -0400, David P. Reed wrote:

> I have a fairly vanilla system: FC3, madwifi running pretty standard on
> a Compaq Evo N610c.   ath0 associates just fine without wpa_supplicant
> with an access point using WEP shared keys and ifup, specifying the
> proper key.
>
> I cannot get wpa_supplicant to associate, however.    It finds the
> access point and tries to associate, but times out and loops retrying.

I'm not completely sure what madwifi driver expects here, but it looked
like the the driver did not configure something correctly when WEP key
was set with the private ioctl.. I think this worked before, but at
least it did not work now with my madwifi-bsd build.

I changed wpa_supplicant to use standard Linux wireless extensions when
driver_madwifi is configuring WEP keys. This seemed to allow me to
associate with an AP both with open system and shared key authentication
algorithms and WEP. Could you please test the current CVS snapshot
(development branch) from http://hostap.epitest.fi/ and let me know
whether it fixes the association in your test case?

> wpa_supplicant, and this is just frustrating.  I really want to shift my
> setup to wpa rather than WEP, but this doesn't give me much confidence
> that wpa_supplicant will work for me.

Please keep in mind that WPA gets much more attention among developers
and is actually more likely to work than WEP or plaintext..