Problems with hostap-driver, wpa_supplicant and WPA-PSK

Urs Thuermann urs
Wed Jun 1 21:19:10 PDT 2005

I have problems to set up wpa_supplicant to do WPA-PSK with the
following system:

    Debian testing on x86, PC104 board
    Debian kernel 2.4.27
    hostap-drivers 0.3.7, compiled from sources
    wpa_supplicant 0.3.8-1 from Debian
    miniPCI Prism2.5 card with Intersil 3874

The hostap driver is loaded, and I can configure the interface.  I
have set it to managed mode, using iwconfig.  In dmesg I see

    hostap_pci: 0.3.7 - 2005-02-12 (Jouni Malinen <jkmaline at cc.hut.fi>)
    PCI: Found IRQ 9 for device 00:08.0
    hostap_pci: Registered netdevice wifi0
    wifi0: Original COR value: 0x0
    prism2_hw_init: initialized in 200 ms
    wifi0: NIC: id=0x8013 v1.0.0
    wifi0: PRI: id=0x15 v1.1.0
    wifi0: STA: id=0x1f v1.4.9
    wifi0: defaulting to bogus WDS frame as a workaround for firmware bug in Host AP mode WDS
    wifi0: Intersil Prism2.5 PCI: mem=0xef001000, irq=9
    wifi0: registered netdevice wlan0

and iwconfig shows

  ccr:~# iwconfig wlan0
  Warning: Driver for device wlan0 recommend version 18 of Wireless Extension,
  but has been compiled with version 16, therefore some driver features
  may not be available...

  wlan0     IEEE 802.11b  ESSID:"my-ssid"
            Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.412 GHz  Access Point:
            44:44:44:44:44:44
            Bit Rate:2 Mb/s   Sensitivity=1/3
            Retry min limit:8   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
            Encryption key:off
            Power Management:off
            Link Quality=0/70  Signal level=-73 dBm  Noise level=-73 dBm
            Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:12522   Missed beacon:0

The wpa_supplicant configuration files is

    ccr:~# cat /etc/wpa.conf
    network={
            ssid="my-ssid"
            key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
            psk="some-key"
    }

But when I start wpa_supplicant, I get the following error messages:

    ccr:~# wpa_supplicant -iwlan0 -c /etc/wpa.conf -D hostap -d
    Initializing interface 'wlan0' conf '/etc/wpa.conf' driver 'hostap'
    Configuration file '/etc/wpa.conf' -> '/etc/wpa.conf'
    Reading configuration file '/etc/wpa.conf'
    Priority group 0
       id=0 ssid='my-ssid'
    Initializing interface (2) 'wlan0'
    EAPOL: SUPP_PAE entering state DISCONNECTED
    EAPOL: KEY_RX entering state NO_KEY_RECEIVE
    EAPOL: SUPP_BE entering state INITIALIZE
    EAP: EAP entering state DISABLED
    EAPOL: External notification - portEnabled=0
    EAPOL: External notification - portValid=0
    Own MAC address: 00:02:6f:35:91:e8
    wpa_driver_hostap_set_wpa: enabled=1
    ioctl[PRISM2_IOCTL_PRISM2_PARAM]: Operation not supported
    Failed to enable WPA in the driver.
    wpa_driver_hostap_set_wpa: enabled=0
    ioctl[PRISM2_IOCTL_PRISM2_PARAM]: Operation not supported
    Failed to disable WPA in the driver.
    wpa_driver_hostap_set_drop_unencrypted: enabled=0
    wpa_driver_hostap_set_countermeasures: enabled=0
    rmdir[ctrl_interface]: Bad address

What am I doing wrong?  How can I enable WPA with this interface?

urs