wpa_supplicant WPA problems with IPW2200 + Trapeze MX AP & concentrator

Rob Vandermeulen rob.vandermeulen
Thu Jul 28 10:28:20 PDT 2005

I already posted this before, but i managed too analyze the sniffing logs a
bit and might have found some pointers

To recap the problem :

I have a problem connecting to a WPA enabled access point using
WPA-PEAPv0/MSCHAPv2. The access points in question are a Trapeze MX system
with a few antennas/dumbAPs connected. The connection works perfectly on an
IPW2220 on WinXP with the latest Intel drivers, so the configuration is not
broken.
The backend is a FreeRadius server. I tested multiple laptops (Acer TM8003
with ipw1.0.6 (ipw2200 card) and wpasupplicant 0.3.9 & 0.4.3 & CVS , and a few
IBM T43 with ipw2200 cards, tried using 1.0.6 , 1.0.3 of the ipw2200 driver
also) . All combinations of drivers / wpa_supplicant give an ssl error and
fail to correctly authenticate. I attached logs + packet captures of a
ipw2200 client trying to connect and an xp client connecting. We hope to get
this working as we have a few hundred IBM thinkpad notebooks that will need
to work with wpa secured wireless under linux.

My attempt at analyzing the sniffer logs :
Both XP and linux associate fine with the AP, but then the differences
start...
The XP log shows the AP sending the first EAP packet to the client, and
doesn't show the client sending an EAPOL packet. The linux box does send an
EAPOL start packet, and then shows the client sending the first EAP packet,
not the other way around like XP. In fact, with wpa_supplicant i don't see
any EAP packets arriving from the AP.

I would appreciate any input you guys can give me, because people are starting
to nag why there shiny expensive wlan infrastructure doesn't work :)

Btw - the anonymous id wpa_supplicant sends in the logs is different then the
one XP sends, but they both work (tested). The AP accepts any identity in the
first run. The cpatures were made with an ipw2200 in monitor mode.

Kind Regards
Rob Vandermeulen

Logs (ap logs + ethereal packet captures are here) :
http://www.redsoft.be/logs.tar.bz2
mac of XP box ends with 9c:39
linux box is
trapeze mx ends with 17:80