Sending a single weird packet

Robert Denier denier
Sat Jul 23 20:41:09 PDT 2005

I suspect the firmware is handling the beacon frames but I'm not an
expert here so...  If this is the case then I can't see how you would
change the power setting without the firmware handling the
miscellaneous.  I could be wrong though.

Another approach might be to use a separate card and get that card to
send out your carefully crafted frame.  That way the only thing that
card needs to do is send out that frame and you can do whatever it takes
to make it do it.  One possible way to approach this might be to create
an iwpriv option that when you type

iwpriv wlan0 dospecial

it sends your frame.

I'm not particularly familiar with the hostap code, but I'd guess that
what your doing is going to involve a fair amount of work.  Remember
also that you have to work within the limits of the existing firmware..
Then again there may be an easier way I don't know about.

-Robert

At any rate if that is the case then changing it might be