Delay between deauthentication and authentication.

Kishore Ramachandran ramack
Fri Jul 15 14:16:14 PDT 2005

All:

While using manual roaming (iwpriv wlan0 host_roaming 2), I observed that
when the mobile is moving from one AP to the next, it first sends a
deauthentication frame to the old AP, which is subsequently acknowledged.

Following this, there is a gap of atleast 22ms before the authentication
frame is sent the new AP. I saw this behavior repeatedly with hostap
driver version 0.3.7, primary firmware v1.1.0, station firmware v1.4.9,
Linux kernel v2.4.30.

kernel: hostap_cs: 0.3.7 - 2005-02-12 (Jouni Malinen <jkmaline at cc.hut.fi>)
kernel: hostap_cs: Registered netdevice wifi0
kernel: hostap_cs: index 0x01: Vcc 5.0, irq 3, io 0x0100-0x013f
/etc/hotplug/net.agent: invoke ifup wifi0
kernel: wifi0: NIC: id=0x800c v1.0.0
kernel: wifi0: PRI: id=0x15 v1.1.0
kernel: wifi0: STA: id=0x1f v1.4.9

Has anyone on the list seen this behavior? What is the cause for this
delay and why 22ms? Is it possible to control this delay?

Thanks in advance,
Kishore