Need help with building hostap on Linux kernel

Ramgopal, Ram Ram.Ramgopal
Sun Jan 30 16:51:07 PST 2005

Rene,

You are right.  Kernel mismatch was the cause of the problem.  I rebuilt
it from scratch and I was able to configure the access point with least
difficulty.  The confusion was due to the fact that Fedora download tree
and kernel version appear to have changed since Ritchie published his
page (12/31/2004).

I will make a suggestion to update his page.

Thanks,

Ram

Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 09:27:08 -0500
From: "Ramgopal, Ram" <Ram.Ramgopal at fmr.com>
Subject: Need help with building hostap on Linux kernel
	2.6.10-1.741_FC3
To: <hostap at shmoo.com>
<E0427B01FB64FE4B84CCCFB87FAC613304350954 at MSGMROCLD2WIN.DMN1.FMR.COM>

Hi,

I am using Linux kernel 2.6.10-1.741_FC3 and I am trying to test Linksys
Network PC card ver.3 as an access point. I ran into an install issue
and I wonder if you can help me with it.  I hope this is not a
complicated issue.

I followed the steps outlined in
http://tipsybottle.com/technology/wireless/Fedora-Kismet-HOWTO-v3.shtml.
They worked beautifully until I ran the following command.

make install KERNEL_PATH=/usr/src/redhat/BUILD/kernel-2.6.9/linux-2.6.9/

I got this error:
Module installation directory not valid: '/lib/modules/2.6.9-1.681_FC3'
Most probable cause for this is modified kernel headers.
You will need to install module file (driver/modules/hostap*.{,k}o)
manually.
make[1]: *** [install_check] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/bib/hostap-driver-0.2.6'
make: *** [install_2.6] Error 2

So I copied various files manually as noted in the Makefile rule for
"install_2.6".
[MODPATH := $(DESTDIR)/lib/modules/$(KERNELRELEASE), MODULE_CS :=
hostap_cs.o, MODULE_PLX := hostap_plx.o, MODULE_PCI := hostap_pci.o,
MODPATH_CS := $(MODPATH)/pcmcia, MODPATH_PLX := $(MODPATH)/net,
MODPATH_PCI := $(MODPATH)/net]

In this process, I needed to create /lib/modules/2.6.10-1.741_FC3/net
and /lib/modules/2.6.10-1.741_FC3/pcmcia directories.  [It sounded a
little odd].

When I started the services, I saw these errors in the messages log.

hostap: no version for "struct_module" found: kernel tainted.
hostap: Unknown symbol get_user_size
hostap: Unknown symbol put_user_size
hostap: Unknown symbol get_user_size
hostap: Unknown symbol put_user_size
hostap_cs: Unknown symbol prism2_update_comms_qual
hostap_cs: disagrees about version of symbol cs_error
hostap_cs: Unknown symbol cs_error
hostap_cs: Unknown symbol hostap_set_hostapd
hostap_cs: Unknown symbol hostap_set_encryption
hostap_cs: Unknown symbol hostap_remove_proc
hostap_cs: disagrees about version of symbol pcmcia_deregister_client
hostap_cs: Unknown symbol pcmcia_deregister_client
hostap_cs: Unknown symbol hostap_set_auth_algs
hostap_cs: Unknown symbol hostap_80211_get_hdrlen
hostap_cs: Unknown symbol hostap_set_multicast_list_queue
hostap_cs: Unknown symbol hostap_get_stats
hostap_cs: disagrees about version of symbol pcmcia_get_first_tuple
hostap_cs: Unknown symbol pcmcia_get_first_tuple
hostap_cs: Unknown symbol hostap_add_interface
hostap_cs: disagrees about version of symbol pcmcia_unregister_driver
hostap_cs: Unknown symbol pcmcia_unregister_driver
hostap_cs: Unknown symbol hostap_free_data
hostap_cs: disagrees about version of symbol pcmcia_get_tuple_data
hostap_cs: Unknown symbol pcmcia_get_tuple_data
hostap_cs: Unknown symbol get_user_size
hostap_cs: disagrees about version of symbol pcmcia_release_window
hostap_cs: Unknown symbol pcmcia_release_window
hostap_cs: Unknown symbol hostap_set_word
hostap_cs: Unknown symbol hostap_info_process
hostap_cs: Unknown symbol hostap_set_string
hostap_cs: Unknown symbol hostap_set_antsel
hostap_cs: Unknown symbol hostap_remove_interface
hostap_cs: disagrees about version of symbol pcmcia_get_next_tuple
hostap_cs: Unknown symbol pcmcia_get_next_tuple
hostap_cs: Unknown symbol hostap_setup_dev
hostap_cs: Unknown symbol hostap_dump_rx_header
hostap_cs: disagrees about version of symbol pcmcia_register_client
hostap_cs: Unknown symbol pcmcia_register_client
hostap_cs: Unknown symbol hostap_init_data
hostap_cs: Unknown symbol hostap_80211_header_parse
hostap_cs: Unknown symbol hostap_init_ap_proc
hostap_cs: disagrees about version of symbol
pcmcia_get_configuration_info
hostap_cs: Unknown symbol pcmcia_get_configuration_info
hostap_cs: Unknown symbol hostap_set_hostapd_sta
hostap_cs: Unknown symbol hostap_init_proc
hostap_cs: Unknown symbol hostap_dump_tx_header
hostap_cs: disagrees about version of symbol pcmcia_request_io
hostap_cs: Unknown symbol pcmcia_request_io
hostap_cs: disagrees about version of symbol
pcmcia_request_configuration
hostap_cs: Unknown symbol pcmcia_request_configuration
hostap_cs: disagrees about version of symbol
pcmcia_access_configuration_register
hostap_cs: Unknown symbol pcmcia_access_configuration_register
hostap_cs: disagrees about version of symbol
pcmcia_release_configuration
hostap_cs: Unknown symbol pcmcia_release_configuration
hostap_cs: Unknown symbol hostap_check_sta_fw_version
hostap_cs: disagrees about version of symbol pcmcia_parse_tuple
hostap_cs: Unknown symbol pcmcia_parse_tuple
hostap_cs: Unknown symbol hostap_get_porttype
hostap_cs: disagrees about version of symbol pcmcia_release_io
hostap_cs: Unknown symbol pcmcia_release_io
hostap_cs: disagrees about version of symbol pcmcia_register_driver
hostap_cs: Unknown symbol pcmcia_register_driver
hostap_cs: Unknown symbol hostap_80211_rx
hostap_cs: Unknown symbol hostap_set_roaming
hostap_cs: Unknown symbol hostap_handle_sta_tx_exc
hostap_cs: disagrees about version of symbol pcmcia_release_irq
hostap_cs: Unknown symbol pcmcia_release_irq
hostap_cs: Unknown symbol hostap_info_init
hostap_cs: Unknown symbol hostap_master_start_xmit
hostap_cs: disagrees about version of symbol pcmcia_request_irq
hostap_cs: Unknown symbol pcmcia_request_irq
No module found in object

The power and link lights on the Linksys are solid and it does not work.

Any help is appreciated.  Thanks for your time.

Regards,

Ram