Monitoring mode gets frames from more than one channel!

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Tue Feb 15 20:32:00 PST 2005

On Fri, Feb 11, 2005 at 01:35:17PM +0100, eduardgv wrote:

> I think 5 channel separation is enough not to allow packet
> decodification on physical layer, even though it is not enough to
> avoid interferences.

That depends somewhat on the hardware design. I've seen cards that can
receive IEEE 802.11b frames from other stations when the devices are on
channels 1 and 11.. Sure, they needed to be quite close to each other
and lots of frames were dropped, but some were still getting through. In
other words, even if the card does not jump around to different
channels, you can easily get a frame or two from far away channels every
now and then.