can not connect to Cisco 1231 with WPA-PSK(wpa_supplicant 0.3.8 and madwifi)

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Mon Feb 14 20:30:52 PST 2005

On Mon, Feb 14, 2005 at 06:33:19PM +0800, YenJung Chang wrote:

> I can not connect to Cisco 1231 with WPA-PSK.
>
> Following is my configure file, wpa_supplicant.conf, and output message.
> Any advice is appreciated.
>
> I used wpa_supplicant 0.3.8 and madwifi.

The debug log shows a successful WPA-PSK authentication with the AP,
from the client view point. However, based on retries on group key
handshake and the evetnual disconnect event, it looks like the AP did
not like the Group Key EAPOL-Key frames from the client. Which version
of madwifi is this? If I remember correctly, madwifi used to send
plaintext EAPOL frames even though these Group Key messages are supposed
to be encrypted. I would recommend asking for fix from the madwifi
mailing lists if you are using the latest CVS version of the driver and
it is still sending out only unencrypted EAPOL-Key frames.

If you have full access to the AP, I would assume it would be possible
to verify this by enabling some debugging at the AP. Anyway, I have
successfully tested number of Cisco 12xx APs, so I believe that
wpa_supplicant works fine with them. However, I have mostly tested with
other drivers than madwifi.