Monitoring mode gets frames from more than one channel!

eduardgv eduardgv
Fri Feb 11 04:35:17 PST 2005

> >>Even though i am monitoring on particular channel(channel 1), but i also
> >>get frames(not all but most) from AP operating on other channel(channel
> >>6).
> >>Why is like that?
> >

> > That's the way IEEE 802.11b works.. Different channels are using
> > different center frequencies, but they are overlapping and radios can
> > receive frames from other channel, although with limited signal
> > strength.

I think 5 channel separation is enough not to allow packet
decodification on physical layer, even though it is not enough to
avoid interferences. I suspect it is a firmware issue. The card keeps
collecting statistics from other channels in orther to perform future
handovers.

Setting mode 2 roaming (iwpriv wlan0 host_roaming 2) still produces
the same behaviour?

Edu