More issues (wpa_supplicant 0.3.7pre, madwifi AND ndiswrapper, dropping after a period of inactivity)

Craig L gangis
Mon Feb 7 21:08:47 PST 2005

Well, I'm back. :P While wpa_supplicant DOES connect to my WPA access
pont and gets an IP through dhcpcd now, it seems to have trouble
maintaining a connection after a brief period of inactivity. As
always, I try different combinations with different drivers,
with/without wpa_supplicant and this is what I found:

(btw, emerged 0.3.7pre through gentoo portage, but it still reports as 3.6)

1) wpa_supplicant and madwifi - Connects to AP and gets an IP address,
everything works. After a couple of minutes when there's nothing going
on, it will suddenly lose connection and try the other AP within range
(even though THAT AP is under my blacklist now, wpa_supplicant seems
to ignore it.) That other AP, btw, has no protection at all, and after
a couple of minutes, it disconnects again and looks for other access
points, cannot find my own (hinatasou), then tries to connect to
Dietrich01 again. Lather, rinse, repeat.
2) madwifi only, no wpa_supplicant - Connects to Dietrich01 and
maintains the connection without any problems. Had it sit for over an
hour.
3) wpa_supplicant and ndiswrapper - Same problem as #1, though with
ndiswrapper it seems to connect and gets the IP address faster than
with madwifi)

Below is the output:

mitsuki-kouyama gangis # /etc/init.d/net.ath0 restart
 * Stopping ath0
 *    Bringing down ath0
 *       Shutting down ath0 ...
                                                                [ ok ]
 *       Stopping wpa_supplicant on ath0 ...
                                                                [ ok ]
 * Starting ath0
 *    Starting wpa_supplicant on ath0 ...
                                                                [ ok ]
 *       ath0 connected to "hinatasou" at 00:0D:88:89:21:79
 *    Bringing up ath0
 *       Configuration not set for ath0 - assuming dhcp
 *       dhcp
 *          Running dhcpcd ...
                                                                [ ok ]
 *          ath0 received address 192.168.0.102
mitsuki-kouyama gangis # wpa_cli
wpa_cli v0.3.6
Copyright (c) 2004-2005, Jouni Malinen <jkmaline at cc.hut.fi> and contributors

This program is free software. You can distribute it and/or modify it
under the terms of the GNU General Public License version 2.

Alternatively, this software may be distributed under the terms of the
BSD license. See README and COPYING for more details.

Selected interface 'ath0'

Interactive mode

> status
bssid=00:0d:88:89:21:79
ssid=hinatasou
pairwise_cipher=TKIP
group_cipher=TKIP
key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
wpa_state=COMPLETED
Supplicant PAE state=AUTHENTICATED
suppPortStatus=Authorized
EAP state=SUCCESS
> <2>Disconnect event - remove keys
<2>Trying to associate with 00:09:5b:dc:ca:84 (SSID='Dietrich01' freq=2462 MHz)
<2>Associated with 00:09:5b:dc:ca:84

*whew* I try to be complete when I do these things, but perhaps I got
carried away? :P Thank you very much, as always.

-Craig