802.1x required for WPA-PSK?

Larry@Home larry.leblanc
Wed Feb 2 15:36:09 PST 2005

Hello,

I'm running hostapd 0.3.5 with madwifi in an AP configuration (i.e.
Master). I am trying to use WPA-PSK but my connections are failing in
802.1x negotiation. I've got 802.1x disabled in hostapd.conf since I
didn't expect to need 802.1x with WPA-PSK - only with WPA-EAP. I thought
maybe the problem was on the client side, but the debug messages from
hostapd showed it was enabling 802.1x in the madwifi driver and I
subsequently found the following code in ieee8021x.c:

   if ((hapd->conf->ieee802_1x || hapd->conf->wpa) &&
       hostapd_set_ieee8021x(hapd, 1))
       return -1;
Note that enabling any form of WPA overrides the explicit 802.1x
configuration - was this intended? And is it necessary? I tried
modifying that code segment to only enable 802.1x if wpa_key_mgmt
included WPA_KEY_MGMT_IEEE8021X without success - no error messages but
my AP was no longer visible (never mind connect-able) from the client,
so there is something more to it.

Am I confused? Is 802.1x required even for WPA-PSK operation?

Thanks,

Larry