Patch: running external commands from wpa_supplicant

Henrik Brix Andersen brix
Wed Feb 2 01:54:32 PST 2005

Hi,

On Thu, 2005-01-13 at 20:36 -0800, Jouni Malinen wrote:
> I have not gone through the process of thinking about all common use
> cases, so I may have missed something here. Please let me know if there
> are operations that you believe would benefit from the use of external
> commands from wpa_supplicant.

The main purpose of my patch is to allow using wpa_supplicant as a
complete replacement for waproamd - allowing wpa_supplicant to control
the distribution specific networking scripts when associating to a new
network.

> These hooks were not described explicitly, but I would guess that by
> auth_cmd you mean the moment when the data connection becomes usable
> for the first time after starting wpa_supplicant and by reauth_cmd the
> moment when data connection becomes (again) usable after roaming to
> another AP.

Correct.

> At the moment, there is no clear location for this. This depends on the
> selected security policy and the most likely places are the locations
> calling wpa_supplicant_cancel_auth_timeout().

Ok, I'll try that...

> different implementation for cases where this is not available. One
> could even consider forking a background job (when fork() or something
> similar is supported) in order to avoid blocking wpa_supplicant.

I'll modify the patch to do so.

> That should probably be in driver deinit() handler (see driver_madwifi.c
> for an example).

Ok.

Thank you for commenting on this. I'll try to find the time to finish
the patch soonish.

Sincerely,
Brix
--