pairwise vs group

Lucia Di Occhi saint_lucy
Tue Dec 27 20:18:56 PST 2005

I have a linksys wrt54g configured with WPA2 and TKIP+AES which from what I
understand it means it will support both TKIP and AES.  My wpa_supplicant
configuration is as follows "just because it works" really :-)

network={
        ssid="myssid"
        proto=WPA
        key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
        pairwise=CCMP
        group=TKIP
        psk=mykey
        priority=5
}

I have noticed that I can change pairwise to TKIP and it will still work,
but it will not work at all if group is set to CCMP.  Now, my question is:
what in the word is my laptop doing, is it using AES? Any reason why it will
not work with group=CCMP?

I guess my real question is what is the difference between group and
pairwise?

Thanks gurus!