dhcp question?

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Wed Dec 21 06:19:00 PST 2005

On Tue, Dec 20, 2005 at 10:40:10PM -0800, Jeff Sadowski wrote:

> I've started noticing that after wpa_supplicant has
> connected that I have a dhcp address without running
> dhclient or dhcpcd? What is going on? is
> wpa_supplicant obtaining a dhcp address? I'm using
> wpa_supplicant with the madwifi driver

No, wpa_supplicant does not do anything directly related to DHCP to
getting an IP address. If a DHCP client is running at that point, I
would assume that you have a networking script that is automatically
starting it when an interface is coming up. If the client is not
running, there could have been an existing IP address on the interface
before wpa_supplicant was started and that just becomes available when
the interface is set up.