problems with zydas

John H. mistamaila
Tue Dec 20 11:25:28 PST 2005

Sheesh, why is it so hard to get this working with WPA?  It works fine
without.  I followed the instructions as per this page.
on my fedora core 4 machine

here is my /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf.  Now I set the essid manually,
then issue the command
wpa_supplicant -Bw -i wlan0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -D zydas
And then I ran dhclient wlan0, but it never gets the IP.  Then the
keyboard, but not the mouse, stopped working.  help?

##### Example wpa_supplicant configuration file ###############################
# Empty lines and lines starting with # are ignored

# NOTE! This file may contain password information and should probably be made
# readable only by root user on multiuser systems.

# global configuration (shared by all network blocks)
#
# Interface for separate control program. If this is specified, wpa_supplicant
# will create this directory and a UNIX domain socket for listening to requests
# from external programs (CLI/GUI, etc.) for status information and
# configuration. The socket file will be named based on the interface name, so
# multiple wpa_supplicant processes can be run at the same time if more than
# one interface is used.
# /var/run/wpa_supplicant is the recommended directory for sockets and by
# default, wpa_cli will use it when trying to connect with wpa_supplicant.
ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant

# Access control for the control interface can be configured by setting the
# directory to allow only members of a group to use sockets. This way, it is
# possible to run wpa_supplicant as root (since it needs to change network
# configuration and open raw sockets) and still allow GUI/CLI components to be
# run as non-root users. However, since the control interface can be used to
# change the network configuration, this access needs to be protected in many
# cases. By default, wpa_supplicant is configured to use gid 0 (root). If you
# want to allow non-root users to use the contron interface, add a new group
# and change this value to match with that group. Add users that should have
# control interface access to this group.
#
# This variable can be a group name or gid.
#ctrl_interface_group=wheel
ctrl_interface_group=0

# IEEE 802.1X/EAPOL version
# wpa_supplicant was implemented based on IEEE 802-1X-REV-d8 which defines
# EAPOL version 2. However, there are many APs that do not handle the new
# version number correctly (they seem to drop the frames completely). In order
# to make wpa_supplicant interoperate with these APs, the version number is set
# to 1 by default. This configuration value can be used to set it to the new
# version (2).
eapol_version=1

# AP scanning/selection
# By default, wpa_supplicant requests driver to perform AP scanning and then
# uses the scan results to select a suitable AP. Another alternative is to
# allow the driver to take care of AP scanning and selection and use
# wpa_supplicant just to process EAPOL frames based on IEEE 802.11 association
# information from the driver.
# 1: wpa_supplicant initiates scanning and AP selection
# 0: driver takes care of scanning, AP selection, and IEEE 802.11 association
#    parameters (e.g., WPA IE generation); this mode can also be used with
#    non-WPA drivers when using IEEE 802.1X mode
ap_scan=2

# network block
#
# Each network (usually AP's sharing the same SSID) is configured as a separate
# block in this configuration file. The network blocks are in preference order
# (the first match is used).
#
# network block fields:
#
# ssid: SSID (mandatory); either as an ASCII string with double quotation or
#	as hex string; network name
#
# scan_ssid:
#	0 = do not scan this SSID with specific Probe Request frames (default)
#	1 = scan with SSID-specific Probe Request frames (this can be used to
#	    find APs that do not accept broadcast SSID or use multiple SSIDs;
#	    this will add latency to scanning, so enable this only when needed)
#
# bssid: BSSID (optional); if set, this network block is used only when
#	associating with the AP using the configured BSSID
#
# priority: priority group (integer)
# By default, all networks will get same priority group (0). If some of the
# networks are more desirable, this field can be used to change the order in
# which wpa_supplicant goes through the networks when selecting a BSS. The
# priority groups will be iterated in decreasing priority (i.e., the larger the
# priority value, the sooner the network is matched against the scan results).
# Within each priority group, networks will be selected based on security
# policy, signal strength, etc.
# Please note that AP scanning with scan_ssid=1 is not using this priority to
# select the order for scanning. Instead, it uses the order the networks are in
# the configuration file.
#
# proto: list of accepted protocols
# WPA = WPA/IEEE 802.11i/D3.0
# RSN = WPA2/IEEE 802.11i (also WPA2 can be used as an alias for RSN)
# If not set, this defaults to: WPA RSN
#
# key_mgmt: list of accepted authenticated key management protocols
# WPA-PSK = WPA pre-shared key (this requires 'psk' field)
# WPA-EAP = WPA using EAP authentication (this can use an external
#	program, e.g., Xsupplicant, for IEEE 802.1X EAP Authentication
# IEEE8021X = IEEE 802.1X using EAP authentication and (optionally) dynamically
#	generated WEP keys
# NONE = WPA is not used; plaintext or static WEP could be used
# If not set, this defaults to: WPA-PSK WPA-EAP
#
# pairwise: list of accepted pairwise (unicast) ciphers for WPA
# CCMP = AES in Counter mode with CBC-MAC [RFC 3610, IEEE 802.11i/D7.0]
# TKIP = Temporal Key Integrity Protocol [IEEE 802.11i/D7.0]
# NONE = Use only Group Keys (deprecated, should not be included if APs support
#	pairwise keys)
# If not set, this defaults to: CCMP TKIP
#
# group: list of accepted group (broadcast/multicast) ciphers for WPA
# CCMP = AES in Counter mode with CBC-MAC [RFC 3610, IEEE 802.11i/D7.0]
# TKIP = Temporal Key Integrity Protocol [IEEE 802.11i/D7.0]
# WEP104 = WEP (Wired Equivalent Privacy) with 104-bit key
# WEP40 = WEP (Wired Equivalent Privacy) with 40-bit key [IEEE 802.11]
# If not set, this defaults to: CCMP TKIP WEP104 WEP40
#
# psk: WPA preshared key; 256-bit pre-shared key
# The key used in WPA-PSK mode can be entered either as 64 hex-digits, i.e.,
# 32 bytes or as an ASCII passphrase (in which case, the real PSK will be
# generated using the passphrase and SSID). ASCII passphrase must be between
# 8 and 63 characters (inclusive).
# This field is not needed, if WPA-EAP is used.
# Note: Separate tool, wpa_passphrase, can be used to generate 256-bit keys
# from ASCII passphrase. This process uses lot of CPU and wpa_supplicant
# startup and reconfiguration time can be optimized by generating the PSK only
# only when the passphrase or SSID has actually changed.
#
# eapol_flags: IEEE 802.1X/EAPOL options (bit field)
# Dynamic WEP key require for non-WPA mode
# bit0 (1): require dynamically generated unicast WEP key
# bit1 (2): require dynamically generated broadcast WEP key
# 	(3 = require both keys; default)
#
# Following fields are only used with internal EAP implementation.
# eap: space-separated list of accepted EAP methods
#	MD5 = EAP-MD5 (unsecure and does not generate keying material ->
#			cannot be used with WPA; to be used as a Phase 2 method
#			with EAP-PEAP or EAP-TTLS)
#       MSCHAPV2 = EAP-MSCHAPv2 (cannot be used separately with WPA; to be used
#		as a Phase 2 method with EAP-PEAP or EAP-TTLS)
#       OTP = EAP-OTP (cannot be used separately with WPA; to be used
#		as a Phase 2 method with EAP-PEAP or EAP-TTLS)
#       GTC = EAP-GTC (cannot be used separately with WPA; to be used
#		as a Phase 2 method with EAP-PEAP or EAP-TTLS)
#	TLS = EAP-TLS (client and server certificate)
#	PEAP = EAP-PEAP (with tunnelled EAP authentication)
#	TTLS = EAP-TTLS (with tunnelled EAP or PAP/CHAP/MSCHAP/MSCHAPV2
#			 authentication)
#	If not set, all compiled in methods are allowed.
#
# identity: Identity string for EAP
# anonymous_identity: Anonymous identity string for EAP (to be used as the
#	unencrypted identity with EAP types that support different tunnelled
#	identity, e.g., EAP-TTLS)
# password: Password string for EAP
# ca_cert: File path to CA certificate file. This file can have one or more
#	trusted CA certificates. If ca_cert is not included, server certificate
#	will not be verified. This is insecure and the CA file should always be
#	configured.
# client_cert: File path to client certificate file
# private_key: File path to client private key file
# private_key_passwd: Password for private key file
# phase1: Phase1 (outer authentication, i.e., TLS tunnel) parameters
#	(string with field-value pairs, e.g., "peapver=0" or
#	"peapver=1 peaplabel=1")
#	'peapver' can be used to force which PEAP version (0 or 1) is used.
#	'peaplabel=1' can be used to force new label, "client PEAP encryption",
#	to be used during key derivation when PEAPv1 or newer. Most existing
#	PEAPv1 implementation seem to be using the old label, "client EAP
#	encryption", and wpa_supplicant is now using that as the default value.
#	Some servers, e.g., Radiator, may require peaplabel=1 configuration to
#	interoperate with PEAPv1; see eap_testing.txt for more details.
#	'peap_outer_success=0' can be used to terminate PEAP authentication on
#	tunneled EAP-Success. This is required with some RADIUS servers that
#	implement draft-josefsson-pppext-eap-tls-eap-05.txt (e.g.,
#	Lucent NavisRadius v4.4.0 with PEAP in "IETF Draft 5" mode)
# phase2: Phase2 (inner authentication with TLS tunnel) parameters
#	(string with field-value pairs, e.g., "auth=MSCHAPV2")
# Following certificate/private key fields are used in inner Phase2
# authentication when using EAP-TTLS or EAP-PEAP.
# ca_cert2: File path to CA certificate file. This file can have one or more
#	trusted CA certificates. If ca_cert2 is not included, server
#	certificate will not be verified. This is insecure and the CA file
#	should always be configured.
# client_cert2: File path to client certificate file
# private_key2: File path to client private key file
# private_key2_passwd: Password for private key file

# Example blocks:

# Only WPA-PSK is used. Any valid cipher combination is accepted.

   network={
   ssid="NetworkForMe"
   scan_ssid=1
   pairwise=TKIP