Any USB adapters for 802.1x on Linux?

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Thu Dec 1 22:31:49 PST 2005

On Fri, Dec 02, 2005 at 12:18:25AM -0600, Philip M. White wrote:
> My university (The University of Texas at Dallas) will be switching to
> 802.1x authentication/encryption campuswide in 1 month.

Would that be IEEE 802.1X with dynamic WEP (i.e., no WPA)?

> The list of chipsets that wpa_supplicant supports is not too long, and
> having spent many hours researching this depressing issue, I am running
> out of options here.
>
> Does anyone know of any USB network card in the world that can
> successfully use 802.1x on Linux?

I haven't tried any, but please keep in mind that if you are indeed
using IEEE 802.1X and not WPA, this should require quite a bit less from
the driver and using generic Linux wireless extensions _may_ be enough
even if the driver is not listed. Anyway, it would certainly be useful
to test this before claiming any support ;-).