Problem with WPA-PSK and kernel 2.6.13-rc6 with ipw2200

François Valenduc fvalenduc
Fri Aug 19 05:59:17 PDT 2005

Pedro Ramalhais a ?crit :

>Fran?ois Valenduc wrote:
>

>>Pedro Ramalhais a ?crit :

>>>It looks like your build of the ipw2200 doesn't suport that WPA
>>>interface. There can be two reasons:
>>>1 -  Your kernel's .config has CONFIG_IPW* and CONFIG_IEEE80211*
>>>definitions which you must remove;
>>>and/or
>>>2 - Your kernel has support for wireless extensions version 18, which
>>>probably disables the old WPA interface (wpa_supplicant's driver_ipw)
>>>and enables the kernel WPA interface (wpa_supplicant's driver_wext).
>>>
>>>Check [1] and if it still doesn't work, then check [2] by trying to use
>>>wpa_supplicant with -Dwext instead of -Dipw.
>>>

>>I looked for CONFIG_IPW and CONFIG_IEEE80211 but I didn't find anything
>>in my kernel configuration file. I also opened a bughost.org and Yi Zhu
>>answered like you that I must use Dwext and it works with that settings.
>> I would like to know how to check your 2nd point. Is it the option
>>"Wireless LAN drivers (non-hamradio) & Wireless Extensions" in kernel
>>config. Do I have to remove it if I want to use wpa_supplicant with the
>>-Dipw parameter ? Or is it something else ?
>>
>>Thanks for your help,
>>Fran?ois Valenduc
>>

>When compiling the ipw2200 driver, if the kernel has a wireless
>extensions version >= 18 then it compiles WE18 WPA support in the
>driver, else it will compile a specific WPA configuration interface.
>Wireless Extensions is a required option in the kernel for compiling
>ipw2200. If you want to use the -Dipw parameter you will have to use a
>kernel with wireless extensions < 18, or edit the ipw2200 source to
>compile the ipw specific WPA configuration interface.
>Look for lines starting with
>#if WIRELESS_EXT

OK.  I am not really good in programming and since I have other problems
with kernel 2.6.13 (for example with software suspend),I will wait for
the final release.  I guess that the problem with WPA support in the
driver will be solved by that time but since we can also use -Dwext as
parameter for wpasupplicant, maybe it is not a real problem.

Fran?ois Valenduc