entering randomly generated WPA keys

Sam Schinke sschinke
Thu Aug 18 16:45:24 PDT 2005

Cheers! This bug had me thinking my wireless card wasn't WPA
compatible or something strange like that, since the symptoms were
association failing at 2/4 for some particular part of the whole
process. There were only a few pages that mentioned that this might be
due to a mis-matched PSK, though. I'd love a more meaningful error
message, since a mis-matched PSK would always create a failure at the
same stage of association, no?

I finally clued in when I inspected the first part of a verbose log
(without -K) and saw that the parsed PSK was far shorter than
expected.

wpa_passphrase has some similar issues, but that is due to shell
expansion. Maybe a command-line option to wpa_passphrase could have it
read a PSK directly from STDIN or a file? IE: wpa_passphrase ssid -F -
< filename

Many of the passphrases generated here
(http://www.kurtm.net/wpa-pskgen/) have characters with "special"
meanings.

And lastly, not to be a bore, any plans for documentation beyond that
found in the wpa_supplicant.conf sample file? If it would help, I
could try my hand at writing some of them, even if only to end up with
a "man wpa_supplicant".