wpa_supplicant messaging

Roy Marples uberlord
Wed Apr 20 02:36:52 PDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-04-13 at 21:16 -0700, Jouni Malinen wrote:
> I would use similar format to the password request here. For example:
>
> <2>CTRL-EVENT-CONNECTED-<network id>:BSSID ({,re}auth)
>
> Similar CTRL-EVENT- prefixes could be added to other places, too,
> although I would expect this connection completed message to be most
> important for external actions.

Connection completed is just as important as Disconnected and
Terminating - those are the three main aspects anyone writing something
to interact with wpa_supplicant would need via messaging.

Attached to this email is a patch to wpa_supplicant CVS which replaces
existing Connected, Disconnected and Terminating messages with ones like
the above. It also includes a new file, events.h, which defines the text
of the messages so that other programs can include it and ensure that
the text is an exact match.

wpa_monitor.c (based loosely off wpa_cli.c) is a new program whose sole
purpose is to listen to those three wpa_supplicant events and take
appropriate action via a shell script (wpa_monitor.action) which can be
customised per OS.

I've also patched the Makefile to support wpa_montior +
wpa_montior.action + a little patch to support make PREFIX=/usr/local
(default) so the path can easily be changed.

Gentoo baselayout-1.12.0-alpha2 has support right now for wpa_monitor
and mark interfaces inactive or started based on wpa_supplicant
messages. If the interface is marked started, then a profile based on
SSID will be selected.

Please report any bugs with this patch to this ML and not Gentoo as this
patch is not in Gentoo at this time.

Thanks

--
Roy Marples <uberlord at gentoo.org>