hostapd strange output from tcpdump

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Tue Apr 12 19:43:37 PDT 2005

On Tue, Apr 12, 2005 at 10:18:46AM -0600, JB wrote:

> Anyone ever seen this strange behavior?  If I run tcpdump on either side of
> a bridge where hostapd is running, I see the following:

Which version of tcpdump are you using? I'm mainly using Ethereal
nowadays, but I don't remember seeing such problems with tcpdump,
either.

> authentic{#516} NAS_ipaddr{65.89.233.207} NAS_id{BBC_8404301_2}
> Called_station Called_station Called_station
>
> Then Called_station repeats infinitely.  Seems it's only doing it when
> tcpdump runs.  I'm thinking this might be some problem with tcpdump but I
> was just wondering if anyone else here had seen this?

I would guess that this would indeed be a bug in tcpdump. Can you store
one of these packets into a capture file (with -s2000 to make sure full
packet is included) and trigger the same thing when reading that file to
tcpdump? What about reading the same file to tethereal/Ethereal?