Hostapd and Wpa_supplicant in WPA2 EAP-TLS mode?

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Mon Apr 4 19:03:42 PDT 2005

On Mon, Apr 04, 2005 at 06:06:37PM -0500, hareesh.khattri at ndsu.edu wrote:

>  I am trying to get the hostapd and WPA_supplicant to work with WPA2
> authentication with EAP.
> I have them running with 802.1x authentication with EAP-TLS.

You have configured wpa_supplicant to use WPA2, but hostapd to use WPA.
hostapd.conf should use wpa=2 to enable WPA2 (or wpa=3 to enable both
WPA and WPA2).

>  The access point gets the association request from the supplicant but
> does not respond as it does not detect it to be WPA/RSN capable.

wpa_supplicant did not report WPA or RSN IE in the scan results. My
first guess would be that you could be using too old firmware version in
the AP. Station firmware has to be v1.7.x or newer for WPA/WPA2 support.