hostap with WPA-PSK

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Sun Apr 3 08:48:46 PDT 2005

On Fri, Apr 01, 2005 at 09:28:15PM -0800, Casey T. Deccio wrote:

>  I have had hostap running on my machine (Debian sarge with 2.6.8
> kernel) for a while with WEP.? It's worked just fine for that.  Now I
> am looking to secure things a little more by using WPA-PSK with
> hostapd.? I haven't had much success in getting it going.? My client
> (Apple PowerBook) trys to associate with the AP, and I am prompted to
> supply a WEP password, although WEP is not configured.? If I try to
> manually use a WPA-PSK then the response is that that type of
> authentication isn't available.  I've looked through the READMEs and
> I'm not sure where to go next.

Please enable some debugging by changing logger_stdout_level to 0 and
debug to 2. Then start hostapd into foreground, direct debug output
to a file, and send results of the client trying to associate with the
AP.

What firmware version are you using? You can get this with either
'hostapd_diag wlan0' or 'ethtool -i wlan0'; or just look at kernel log
messages with 'dmesg' after the driver has been initialized.

> By the way, on an related note, where did the wifi0 and wlan0ap
> interfaces come from?  Which interfaces(s) should I be using to
> configure services for listening (e.g., dhcpd, cupsd) on the access
> point?

wifi0 is the "radio interface" and wlan0ap is a virtual interface used
by hostapd for management frames. You should use wlan0 for all normal
data traffic.