Ndiswrapper + WPA ....failed to initiate AP scan?

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Thu Sep 16 19:39:56 PDT 2004

On Thu, Sep 16, 2004 at 03:48:48PM -0400, michael robinson wrote:

> Every time I attempt to connect with wpa_supplicant I always eventually get:
>     Authentication with 00:06:da:38:f5 timed out
> and then a little latter...
>     Failed to initiate AP scan

> My current setup is Fedora Core 2 with a Linksys WMP54G card attempting to
> connect to a WRT54G router. I have ndiswrapper version .10 installed (and
> working fine without encryption). I have attempted using two different
> broadcom drivers for the nic both bcmwl5a and bcmwl5. Both of these drivers
> work for me without encryption.

Please post a full wpa_supplicant debug log (with -dd on command line).
In addition, you might want to upgrade ndiswrapper and/or wpa_supplicant
to the latest development version. If I understood correctly,
ndiswrapper .10 has a bug in WPA IE processing that may cause problems
that could match with your description here. Development version of
wpa_supplicant has a workaround for this and I would assume development
version of ndiswrapper has this issue fixed (I haven't verified this).