wpa_supplicant and IPW2100 Driver.

Pedro Ramalhais ramalhais
Thu Sep 16 19:27:26 PDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-09-16 at 21:08, Alejandro Bonilla wrote:
> Hi,
>
>     I'm new to the list. I hope this is also related to wpa_supplicant.
> I want to get wpa_supplicant to work with LEAP authentication Open/WEP/LEAP.
>
> 1. Is there a driver requirement for this? I mean should the Driver
> Support WPA even if not using it?

wpa_supplicant always tries to enable WPA in the driver even if it's not
going to be used, so, apply Lubomir Gelo's ipw2100 wpa patch and the
wpa_supplicant CVS ipw2100 patch i have attached to this email(this
patch already include a .config, so just apply the patch and type make
in the wpa_supplicant directory).

> 2. Have anyone here heard of someone using an Intel 2100 that worked
> with LEAP and wpa_supp?
>
> This is my config.
>
> ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
> ctrl_interface_group=0
> eapol_version=1
> ap_scan=1
> network={
> pairwise=NONE

you can remove pairwise=NONE

> ssid=1200
> key_mgmt=IEEE8021X
> eap=LEAP
> identity="administrator at domain.com"
> password="mypassword"
> }
>

> Any info will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Output:
>
> First iwconfig eth1 essid 1200 enc 1234567890 open
> Once associated :
>
> debian: /root/hostap/wpa_supplicant# ./wpa_supplicant -dd -i eth1 -c
> /root/wpa_supplicant.conf
> Configuration file '/root/wpa_supplicant.conf' ->
> '/root/wpa_supplicant.conf'
> Reading configuration file '/root/wpa_supplicant.conf'
> ctrl_interface='/var/run/wpa_supplicant'
> ctrl_interface_group=0
> eapol_version=1
> ap_scan=1
> Line: 5 - start of a new network block
> pairwise: 0x1
> ssid - hexdump_ascii(len=2):
>      12 00                                             __
> key_mgmt: 0x8
> eap methods - hexdump(len=2): 11 00
> identity - hexdump_ascii(len=23):
>      61 64 6d 69 6e 69 73 74 72 61 74 6f 72 40 69 6e   administrator at do
>      74 65 6c 2e 63 6f 6d                              main.com
> password - hexdump_ascii(len=5):
>      69 6e 74 65 6c                                    mypassword
> Priority group 0
>    id=0 ssid='_'
> EAPOL: SUPP_PAE entering state DISCONNECTED
> EAPOL: KEY_RX entering state NO_KEY_RECEIVE
> EAPOL: SUPP_BE entering state INITIALIZE
> EAP: EAP entering state DISABLED
> EAPOL: External notification - portEnabled=0
> EAPOL: External notification - portValid=0
> Own MAC address: 00:04:23:50:cf:eb
> wpa_driver_wext_set_wpa
> ioctl[SIOCSIWAUTH]: Operation not supported
> Failed to enable WPA in the driver.
> wpa_driver_wext_set_wpa
> ioctl[SIOCSIWAUTH]: Operation not supported
> Failed to disable WPA in the driver.
> wpa_driver_wext_set_drop_unencrypted
> ioctl[SIOCSIWAUTH]: Operation not supported
> wpa_driver_wext_set_countermeasures
> ioctl[SIOCSIWAUTH]: Operation not supported

wpa_driver_wext driver uses wireless extensions 18 to setup WPA related
stuff, so you need to tell wpa_supplicant to use driver_ipw2100:

./wpa_supplicant -dd -i eth1 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant-LEAP.conf -Dipw2100

Hope this helps, good luck!

--
Pedro Ramalhais <ramalhais at serrado.net>