WPA && bridge_packets dont work

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Tue Sep 7 23:04:52 PDT 2004

On Tue, Sep 07, 2004 at 07:06:03PM +0200, Gunter Burchardt wrote:

> Well, I guess the problem could be with encryption of broadcast packets
> (mac broadcast, not ip). I didn't have 802.11i specification here, but
> i guess that broadcast packets should be encryted with the group key.
> Could it be that such packets are encrypted with the wrong key from
> hostap?

Broadcast packets are indeed encrypted with a different key. However,
since you were able to ping the stations from the AP, I would assume
broadcast was working. Anyway, you can verify this by making sure that
the AP does not have station IP address in its ARP cache and then ping
the station from the AP.

However, I would be somewhat surprised if broadcast packets were
encrypted with incorrect key since they are working fine in my tests
even for the case of ping from one associated STA to another after
having cleared ARP cache.