firmware not loading

Josh Wyatt jdwyatt
Fri Oct 22 11:49:01 PDT 2004

James B. Hiller wrote:
> Hi.
>

>>On Thursday 21 October 2004 10:57 am, Josh Wyatt wrote:
>>
>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>I'm running hostap-0.2.5 trying to get a DLink 520 going as access point.
>

> Which revision?  The A_/B_ type, or the E_ type?

> Ref my comment above - the revision likely matters.
>
> jbh

Hi,

Firstly, thanks for your help...

I am not sure how to know the revision of the card.  I do not have physical
access to the machine, so I cannot see the card.  I am assuming "E" (I believe I
may have seen E1 on the packaging moons ago).

I can give you lspci -vv output:
01:08.0 Network controller: Harris Semiconductor Prism 2.5 Wavelan chipset (rev
01)
         Subsystem: Harris Semiconductor Prism 2.5 Wavelan chipset
         Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster- SpecCycle- MemWINV+ VGASnoop- ParErr- Step
ping- SERR+ FastB2B-

And here is some output from dmesg, when loading the hostap_pci driver, which
might help:

hostap_pci: 0.2.5 - 2004-10-03 (Jouni Malinen <jkmaline at cc.hut.fi>)
PCI: Found IRQ 3 for device 01:08.0
PCI: Sharing IRQ 3 with 00:1f.3
divert: not allocating divert_blk for non-ethernet device wifi0
hostap_pci: Registered netdevice wifi0
wifi0: Original COR value: 0x0
hostap_pci: assuming no Primary image in flash - card initialization not complet
ed
wifi0: test Genesis mode with HCR 0x1f
wifi0: Original COR value: 0x0
Readback test failed, HCR 0x1f write 00 e1 a1 ff read 00 ce a1 ce
wifi0: test Genesis mode with HCR 0x0f
wifi0: Original COR value: 0xa1
Readback test succeeded, HCR 0x0f
wifi0: Intersil Prism2.5 PCI: mem=0xf8000000, irq=3
divert: allocating divert_blk for wlan0
wifi0: registered netdevice wlan0
wlan0: could not set interface UP - no PRI f/w
wifi0: Original COR value: 0x0
divert: freeing divert_blk for wlan0
divert: no divert_blk to free, wifi0 not ethernet
hostap_pci: Driver unloaded

If you need info from the card or packaging, I can get it, I just need to know
which info since I will be relaying to another human.

To answer the other questions.. I am not relying on the ebuilds from gentoo, I'm
building from the tarballs downloaded from hostap.epitest.fi/releases/.  I'm
building the kernel from the source tarball from a kernel.org mirror, so all
pretty standard really, no additional patches, etc.

Lastly, where might I find primary.tar.gz?

Thanks in advance,
Josh