wpa_supplicant giving "Operation not supported" error

President Jobu presidentjobu
Mon Oct 11 22:34:05 PDT 2004

Hi all. I recently installed Suse 9.0 on a partition on my laptop, and
 was hoping to get the wireless card working. It's a D-Link DWL-G650,
 rev. B3. I followed the instructions in the Madwifi FAQ to install the
 drivers, and managed to get everything up and running with WEP. I then
 downloaded the wpa_supplicant (version 0.2.5), built it without
 problem, and copied the wpa_ files to my /usr/local/bin directory. I
 set up my wpa_supplicant.conf file with the following network block:

 network={
 ssid="mySSID"
 #psk="myWPAKey"
 psk=(key generated by running wpa_passphrase on my passphrase)
 scan_ssid=0
 proto=WPA
 key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
 group=CCMP TKIP WEP104 WEP40
 }

 The problem is, when I run the wpa_supplicant command with a -d tag, I
 get the following output:

 Configuration file "/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf" -> "/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf"
 Reading configuration file "/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf"
 Priority group 0
    id=0 ssid="mySSID"
 wpa_driver_madwifi_set_wpa: enabled=1
 ioctl[IEEE80211_IOCTL_SETPARAM]: Operation not supported
 ioctl[IEEE80211_IOCTL_SETPARAM]: Operation not supported
 ioctl[IEEE80211_IOCTL_SETPARAM]: Operation not supported
 Failed to enable WPA in the driver.
 wpa_driver_madwifi_set_wpa: enabled=0
 ioctl[IEEE80211_IOCTL_SETOPTIE]: Operation not supported
 ioctl[IEEE80211_IOCTL_SETPARAM]: Operation not supported
 ioctl[IEEE80211_IOCTL_SETPARAM]: Operation not supported
 ioctl[IEEE80211_IOCTL_SETPARAM]: Operation not supported
 Failed to disable WPA in the driver.
 wpa_driver_madwifi_set_drop_unencrypted: enabled=0
 ioctl[IEEE80211_IOCTL_SETPARAM]: Operation not supported
 wpa_driver_madwifi_set_countermeasures: enabled=0
 ioctl[IEEE80211_IOCTL_SETPARAM]: Operation not supported

 Naturally, it doesn't connect to the network. I tried the whole
 process with version 0.2.4 of the wpa_supplicant and got the same
 results. I don't know what those messages mean exactly, but the card
 itself does support WPA (I've got it working on my Windows partition).
 Can anybody point me in the right direction here? I posted this
question to the madwifi mailing list but haven't received a response
yet.

 I'm a bit of a n00b to this linux stuff, so forgive me if I"m
 overlooking something simple. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!