Problem with HostAP/WEP running in Managed mode

Chris techie
Thu Nov 18 12:55:32 PST 2004

Tony Espy wrote:

<snip>

> Wi-Fi Card: Gemtek Prism II based CF card ( hostap_cs reports firmware
> as -- NIC: id=0x801b v1.0.0, PRI: id=0x15 v1.1.0, STA: id=0x1f v1.4.9 )

<snip>

> We had been running a Symbol Spectrum24 card w/the Orinoco driver that
> worked great, however we have a new requirement to support WPA, thus
> I've been working for the past week of so to try and get HostAP
> working on the Pepper Pad.

I believe you will need a newer firmware to do WPA.  v1.4.9 is good for
WEP, but we found that for WPA v1.7.4 was required.  A useful link is
http://linux.junsun.net/intersil-prism/ which contains instructions on
how to upgrade your firmware and links to the firmware itself.  In the
past I have found many problems are alleviated by upgrading the
firmware, whether WPA was required or not.

Chris.