bridge_packets 0 and bridge

Karel Rericha karel
Fri May 28 02:06:12 PDT 2004

Hi,
this is not directly related to hostap, but someone might help. I want
to shape traffic
between wireless clients using htb qdisc and "bridge_packets 0".

I have br0 between two local interfaces eth0 and wlan0 on Mandrake 10.0
Community
with 2.6.3-4 kernel and hostap 0.2.0. In shorewall's "interfaces" file I
have specified
"routeback" option, to enable traffic between eth0 and wlan0:

loc   br0   detect   maclist,routeback

When I use

iwpriv wlan0 bridge_packets 0

all traffic between wlan0 clients disappear. I looks like "routeback" is
routing only between
different interfaces, and not from wlan0 back to wlan0.

I'm no expert in routing and I'm sure there is something missing out
there. But google
gives only very little info on bridge_packets. I'm pretty sure that with
ebtables and
bridge-nf equipped kernel there should be solution, but so far I found
only this one:

http://lists.shmoo.com/pipermail/hostap/2003-August/004025.html
    - there is Jouni involved, solution from Jiri, but probably no
broadcast (if I understand it well)

Anyone any idea ? Thanks alot in advance.

Karel