Tx Rate Chosing

Anand S. Katti askatti
Tue May 25 04:44:44 PDT 2004

Hi,

Is information exchanged about supported rates during Association is being
used in eventually settling to an initial TX rate for the connection ?

If yes, then what initial rate they settle on ?

Do they start with low rates and gradually ramp up  ?
 or they start with high value ?

----------hostap_ap.c-----------

In the function hostap_add_sta(struct ap_data *ap, u8 *sta_addr)

Some comments mention like this

                memset(sta->supported_rates, 0,
sizeof(sta->supported_rates));
                /* No way of knowing which rates are supported since we
did not
                 * get supported rates element from beacon/assoc req.
Assume
                 * that remote end supports all 802.11b rates. */
                sta->supported_rates[0] = 0x82;
                sta->supported_rates[1] = 0x84;
                sta->supported_rates[2] = 0x0b;
                sta->supported_rates[3] = 0x16;
                sta->tx_supp_rates = WLAN_RATE_1M | WLAN_RATE_2M |
                        WLAN_RATE_5M5 | WLAN_RATE_11M;
                sta->tx_rate = 110;
                sta->tx_max_rate = sta->tx_rate_idx = 3;
}

Though im not good at coding but trying to understand hostap code. So need
help.

Does this code mean that After assocaition(authenticated and associated)
the rate is fixed to 	11MMbps ?

Regards,
Anand