WEP encryption for WDS links

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Sat Mar 27 22:50:22 PST 2004

On Sun, Mar 28, 2004 at 01:29:56AM -0500, Pavel Roskin wrote:

> Maybe the warning should be rephrased since hostap supports stronger WPA
> encryption now.

WPA is currently only supported for managed mode (i.e., for AP when
using hostapd and for client when using wpa_supplicant). TKIP and CCMP
can be manually configured for WDS links, but this is not exactly ideal
due to replay protection and need to change keys.

hostapd (WPA Authenticator) and wpa_supplicant need some modification to
work over WDS links. This would allow automatic keying and replay
protection synchronization either using WPA-PSK with a passphrase or
with IEEE 802.1X. This is not on top of my to do list at the moment,
but I try to implement this at some point.