Supported Wireless Cards

Pavel Roskin proski
Fri Mar 19 14:45:06 PST 2004

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004, Ow Mun Heng wrote:

> > Hi everybody, I am looking for a card that can be purchased now and
> > that is supported by linux and that I can use with hostapd. I found on
> > a website a list in which there was NetGear 802.11b Wirelless PC Card
> > 16-bit PCMCIA Model MA401. Up to the site, it is supposed to work on
> > linux, but when I plugged it the kernel gives "unsupported card"/. Is
> > this card supposed to work? Otherwise can you give me some references
> > to pick a card from? Thank you, Ugo

It should work.  It's listed in hostap_cs.conf.  It's hard to comment on
the error without complete error messages and the versions of the software
involved.

> Didn't I answer this somewhere else?
>
> Yea.. it works.. I use it on RH9 and FC1.
>
> U need to ensure that you have the orinoco_cs/orinoco/hermes drivers
> compiled into the kernel or as a module.

Orinoco driver doesn't work with hostapd.  The only driver that works with
hostapd is hostap.  hostapd uses private ioctl() that only hostap
implements.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin