FYI: Debian & DWL-650P

Pavel Roskin proski
Mon Jun 28 10:43:10 PDT 2004

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004, AP-Research wrote:

> <quote who="Aise Johan De Jong">
>> The only minor problem I'm having is that the first time I try
>> prism2_srec -gs wlan0 pm0101020.hex
>> after I insert the card it usually doesn't succeed. However, after doing a
>> few random things, like "hostap_diag wlan0" (which gives an error at
>> this point), and/or "cardctl eject 0"+"modprobe hostap_cs"+"cardctl insert
>> 0" and/or "/etc/init.d/pcmcia restart", it works.

This may be a motherboard problem.  In my case, similar problems were
fixed by enabling PCI quirks for the motherboard.

> My understanding from Pavel Roskin in:
>
> http://sisyphus.iocaine.com/pipermail/hostap/2004-February/005431.html
>
> ... was that Genesis firmware begin with "a" & "r" (PRI, STA
> respectively). PRISM2_NON_VOLATILE_DOWNLOAD firmware begin with "p" & "s"
> (PRI, STA respectively). (is this correct?)

I didn't say that.  In particular, I didn't say that in the message you
posted the link to.  I'm not aware of the term "genesis firmware".
Initial and primary firmware is loaded into RAM in genesis more.
Secondary firmware is loaded using download commands.  Flashing of any
firmware is done by download commands.

As for the names, the definitive resource is the documentation from
Intersil: http://home.eunet.cz/jt/wifi/Download.pdf

Names of RAM-loadable primary firmware can begin with "p" and with "a".
Flash-loadable primary firmware can also begin  with "p".  Use prism2_srec
utility to examine the firmware and find out what hardware it's compatible
with and how it should be loaded.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin