Some basic questions from a little confused Linuxfan

AP-Research HostAP-Research
Fri Jun 18 08:13:57 PDT 2004

<quote who="J. Dietrich Boock">

> I want to build an accesspoint with hostapd (user space) and a netgear
> pci MA311.
> Debian is the distr. i use.
>
> - I loaded the kernel-source 2.4.21
> - I patched this source with the patch vor 2.4.20
> - I copied the /usr/src/hostap/driver/modules/hostap*.[ch] to
> drivers/net/wireless
> - I menuconfigured the kernel, added hostap-support as module
> - I compiled the kernel and booted it

If you patch the kernel source as you did above then manually compiling
hostap in the next step is redundant.

> - I compiled the hostap-sources:
> 	make pci
>          make install_pci
> - When i use modprobe hostap_pci so i successfull load, lsmod shows
> --->
> hostap_pci             45888   0  (unused)
> hostap                 76680   0  [hostap_pci]
> <---

OK, it works...

> But insmod hostap_pci shows:
>
> --->
> anaphalio:/usr/src/hostap# insmod hostap_pci
> Using /lib/modules/2.4.21/net/hostap_pci.o
> /lib/modules/2.4.21/net/hostap_pci.o:
> /lib/modules/2.4.21/net/hostap_pci.o: unresolved symbol
<snip>
> hostap_80211_rx_R6a8da542
> /lib/modules/2.4.21/net/hostap_pci.o:
> /lib/modules/2.4.21/net/hostap_pci.o: unresolved symbol
> hostap_remove_proc_R543776d1
>
> Whats wrong here?

unresolved symbol errors?  after modprobe was successful???

is your system different than mine?
# ls -l /sbin/modprobe
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 6 Jun  5 20:01 /sbin/modprobe -> insmod

> Now iam still a little confused:
>
> I want hostapd to do the accesspoint, but there are two modi to do
> hostap. One with the kernelmodule, one with the userspace-damon.

hostap_{cs,plx,pci} are the modules/drivers to control the Intersil Prism
hardware.

hostapd is a daemon to assist in configuring the environment for your AP.

> - Needs the hostapd, the damon, the hostap_pci, hostap - module? MUST i
> load it before the hostapd starts?

modprobe hostap_pci then load hostapd...

> Thanks for frendly help (and yes, i have readed all the doku :-)

...all of this is in the doku :-)

--
Regards
RescuNET.com